Civita di Bagnoregio is a hidden gem in Italy’s lovely countryside, waiting to be discovered. This old village draws visitors from all over the world due to its mesmerizing beauty, rich history, and remote position. In this post, we will delve into the unique elements of Civita di Bagnoregio, as well as provide information on how to get to this lovely place from Dublin and information on local eateries.
A Sneak Peek at Civita di Bagnoregio:
Civita di Bagnoregio, popularly known as the “Dying City,” is perched atop a hill in the Lazio region of Italy. The settlement, built atop a crumbling tufa rock formation, appears suspended in time, adding to its otherworldly attraction. Because of its surreal beauty, it has acquired the moniker “The Jewel on the Hill.”
Highlights and curiosities:
1. Erosion and Preservation: Civita di Bagnoregio is constantly threatened by erosion, making it a really endangered gem. The village’s remoteness, magnificent architecture, and breathtaking views have piqued the interest of conservationists, who are working to preserve this historic gem for future generations.
2. Getting There: To get to Civita di Bagnoregio, travelers must cross a pedestrian footbridge called the “Bridge of Wonders.” This unique access adds to the village’s charm while providing breathtaking panoramic views of the neighboring regions.
How to Get There from Dublin:
1. Flight: Start your journey by taking a direct flight from Dublin to Rome. Several airlines offer convenient connections between these cities. Once in Rome, you have various transportation options to reach Civita di Bagnoregio.
2. Train and Bus: From Rome, board a train to Orvieto, a nearby city that serves as a gateway to Civita di Bagnoregio. The train journey takes approximately 1.5 hours. Upon arriving in Orvieto, catch a local bus that will take you directly to Civita di Bagnoregio. The bus ride is short, offering glimpses of the picturesque countryside along the way.
3. Car Rental: If you prefer the flexibility of driving, consider renting a car in Rome. The scenic drive from Rome to Civita di Bagnoregio takes about two hours, allowing you to explore the surrounding areas at your own pace.
Restaurants in Civita di Bagnoregio:
1. Ristorante Alma Civita: Located within the village, Ristorante Alma Civita offers a lovely dining experience with a focus on traditional Italian food. Enjoy delectable cuisine created with locally sourced ingredients while admiring the stunning views from the balcony.
2. Osteria al Forno di Agnese: Located near the entrance to Civita di Bagnoregio, this lovely osteria provides classic Italian fare such as homemade pasta, regional delicacies, and a large range of local wines. The warm and pleasant ambiance enhances the overall dining experience.
3. Ristorante Il Frantoio: Located near Civita di Bagnoregio, Ristorante Il Frantoio offers a one-of-a-kind culinary experience. The restaurant, housed in a restored olive oil mill, serves a mix of traditional and contemporary cuisine that highlight the flavors of the region.
Civita di Bagnoregio, with its ethereal beauty and rich history, is a destination that should not be missed. As you wander through the winding streets and immerse yourself in the timeless atmosphere of Civita di Bagnoregio, you will create memories to cherish forever. Plan your visit, enjoy the local restaurants, and prepare to be enchanted by this extraordinary village.
Are you inspired to visit the enchanting village of Civita di Bagnoregio? We have found an amazing offer for you! Experience the best of Italy with a 5-night stay in Rome, starting on 14 December, 2023. And the best part? Flights are included for only €217 per person!