Heading off on holiday with a young child who can’t sit still? Read these handy tips for keeping your little ones busy on the plane…
There are lots of tricks and tips you can use to keep your little one entertained no matter how long the flight may be. So, to help make your next family getaway a less stressful experience, these are TUI’s top tips to make the journey as smooth as possible:
1. TREAT THEM TO A NEW TOY
Nothing distracts a child more than a new toy. So, if you’ve got a long flight ahead of you, what better way to keep them entertained than by surprising them with a new toy to play with? You’ll want to make sure you pack some of the existing toys that you know they love to play with too. It’s even worth investing in a couple of new toys if you have a longer flight. This tip alone can help to keep your little one entertained throughout the entire flight.
2. LET THEM WATCH OUT THE WINDOW
One of the great things about children is that they are often content with the simple things in life. As they don’t get to fly on a plane very often, you’ll typically find they are really interested in everything that’s going on around them. One thing they will especially love to do is watch out of the window. You could even take a world map with you and help your child identify where you are. You might just be surprised at how exciting this is for your children!
3. ENCOURAGE THEM TO GET CREATIVE
If you’re looking for entertainment that’s going to keep them occupied for some time, anything creative is a good idea. So, you could take coloring in books and pencils or plain paper that they can draw with. Sticker books are always reliable, even when you’ve run out of pages there’s plenty of fun to be had by sticking them anywhere else you can think of.
4. READ THEM A BOOK
Taking a flight with your child gives you a great opportunity to bond. When you want them to settle down, reading a book together is a great idea. You can get them to pick some of their favorite books before you leave. You could surprise them with a couple of new books for the journey either. You can stretch out this activity by reading the book to your child, then getting them to practice reading it back to you. This will obviously depend on how old your child is and how well they can read. One tip to remember here is to only give them one book at a time.
5. IN-FLIGHT ENTERTAINMENT
Don’t forget, you can also take advantage of technology too, such as downloading films to a device they can watch. Putting on their favorite film can secure up to an hour of peace.
6. DRINKS AND SNACKS HELP LITTLE EARS ON TAKE-OFF AND LANDING
If you’re travelling with a baby, it’s definitely worth taking a bottle of milk for the flight or breastfeeding on take-off and landing. The sucking motion can help to stop their ears from popping and alleviate excess pressure build-up. You can carry more than 100ml through security – you may just be asked to taste it – and the cabin crew can heat it up for you on the plane. If your child is older, try giving them a drink or something to eat instead.
Said TUI: “Our vast number of family-friendly hotels tick all the boxes, from child-friendly restaurants, something-for-everyone pool scenes and loads of entertainment. We even offer free-child places on selected deals.”
Latest Deals from TUI:
Late Family Deals:
- 19-Jun-23, Dublin to Turkey, Aes Club Hotel, 3*, Ovacik, AI, 7 nights from €1,799 (2+1), €2,269 (2+2) (Link to deal)
- 05-Jun-23, Dublin to Mexico, Bahia Principe Grand Coba, 4*, Riviera Maya, AI, 14 nights from €4,209 (2+1), €5,559 (2+2) (Save an extra €300 on this hotel using code 7Q3JBTVFC) (Link to deal)
Family Deals with a Free Child Place:
- 22-Aug-23, Cork to Majorca, TUI SUNEO Lagomonte, 3*, Alcudia, AI, 7 nights from €2,169** (2+1), €3,109** (2+2) (Link to deal)
- 22-Aug-23, Cork to Costa Dorada, SunClub, 3*+, Cap De Salou, SC, 7 nights from €1,999** (2+1), €2,519 (2+2) (Link to deal)
- 21-Aug-23, Dublin to Turkey, Club Candan, 4*, Marmaris, SC, 7 nights from €1,849** (2+1), €2,439** (2+2) (Link to deal)
- 25-Aug-23, Dublin to Corfu, Loulass Village, 2*+, Psarras, SC, 7 nights €1,609** (2+1), €2,249**(2+2) (Link to deal)
- 25-Aug-23, Dublin to Tenerife, TUI SUNEO Tamaimo, 3*, Puerto De Santiago, SC, 7 nights from €1,739** (2+1), €2,389**(2+2) (Link to deal)
**Price includes one free child place