I don’t know about you guys, but for me, I found that as our children got older, it became more difficult to choose gifts that were suited to them. So now, in today’s world, I believe most teenagers already have the latest tech gadgets, fashion accessories, sports gear etc. Some of them even have the latest iPhone and Xbox.
As a result, parents are struggling to source the ideal Christmas presents. This is where we, at Travel Times come up with some exciting ideas for gifting teenagers travel experiences that combine adventure and fun and it also means you, as parents, can tag along, have some fun, and get to spend some quality time with your offspring while making fabulous memories too.
We have listed below a few ideas that may be suited to your budget and individual taste.
- Concert Tickets: Purchase tickets for their favourite band or artist abroad and make a weekend break around it. For example, Coldplay are performing in Rome from the 12th to the 16th June 2024
- Outdoor Adventure Weekend: Plan a weekend getaway for activities like zip-lining, hiking, or camping. Annecy, France has a plethora of outdoor activities like hiking, biking or boating and it’s also one of the most popular paragliding sights in the world and it’s only a short flight away too.
- Surfing or Watersports Lessons: Arrange lessons for surfing, paddleboarding, or another water activity at a coastal destination. In fairness, Ireland boasts some of the world’s most incredible surfing spots along its rugged coastline. Bundoran is known as the surf capital of Ireland and also offers lots of other watersports.
- Hot Air Balloon Ride: Provide an unforgettable experience with a hot air balloon ride, offering a unique perspective of the landscape. I did this in Morocco and it was a truly unforgettable experience.
- Theatre or Broadway Show Tickets: Gift tickets to a theatre production or Broadway show, combined with a stay in your favourite city. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is currently running in London and New York. For older teens (and adults) U2 Live at The Sphere Las Vegas runs until March 2024.
- Cooking Class and Culinary Tour: One of my favourite gifts for the foodie teen would have to be a culinary tour in one of Italy’s many regions. Italy is renowned for its diverse and exquisite food and is home to some of the best cookery classes and culinary tours available. There are plenty to choose from, from Pizza and spaghetti making to truffle hunting. Flights operate daily too.
- Shopping Trips: What teenager doesn’t love a good shopping spree? especially when it’s all about them! Gift them an overnight/weekend trip to a shopping outlet in Europe or if your budget allows head for Woodbury Commons premium outlets just outside New York City, I promise, they will love you forever!!
- Theme Park Passes: There are lots of theme parks around Europe, the UK and the USA. Depending on your budget you could purchase tickets for any of these destinations combined with theme park passes for the duration of your stay. A really popular one is PortAventura World in Salou, Spain. It’s the biggest theme park in Spain and the third largest in Europe and again there are year-round flights at really good value.
- Visit The Winter Wonderland – Lapland: I don’t know any teenager who wouldn’t love the gift of a lifetime at Christmas and that’s a visit to The Artic Circle. Lapland is synonymous with winter magic. Blanketed in snow during the colder months, it offers opportunities for activities like snowmobiling, dog sledging, ice fishing and cross-country skiing and no visit to Lapland would be complete without a visit to the world-famous Santa Claus Village where children and adults alike get to meet the main man himself, Santa, explore his workshop, and experience the Christmas spirit year-round. Find out more about Lapland packages on Sunway.ie.
There’s still plenty of time to organise and book the ultimate Christmas gift for your “Dynamic Explorers in the Adventure of Adolescence” Teenagers.
In doing one of these memorable experiences with your teens you will be creating positive experiences that will contribute to their overall happiness and as I said earlier, they will love you forever!!